Cautions before upgrading FW39 to FW40 using two independent disks (W11 + FW39) without dual boot

Hello everybody.

I come to ask the community before I can have problems, in fact, to take precautions.

I have a recent hardware, with two nvme disks (2T + 512GB). On the 2T disk, I have Windows 11 PRO (Secure Boot=on and TPM2.0=keys on) and on the 512GB disk, Fedora Workstation 39.

Both systems working very well. I don’t use any UEFI boot partition manager for booting, like GRUB. When I installed each of the systems I did it one at a time, and on each disk separately, so that I could manually select each operating system using the “F8” key on my Asus motherboard as soon as I turn on the computer.

My intention is to have independence between the disks, so as not to have to redo or repair the boot in case of replacement or failure of one of the disks.

My question is: when upgrading from FW39 to FW40, is there a risk of installing GRUB (or any other boot manager) that could somehow interfere with the independence between the systems?

or

Would it be more cautious of me to physically remove the disk containing Windows 11 to avoid problems?

Has anyone done this successfully?

At the moment, I don’t have any other computer to perform this test with two other disks and I’m not sure that creating a VM would be able to accurately simulate such a test.

Thank you all!

This sounds like you may be intending to keep the installations separate and never allow dual booting via grub. This may not work since after installation and with both drives connected the next kernel upgrade will probably result in grub from fedora finding the windows install and adding that as a boot option (assuming fedora is installed in uefi mode as windows 11 will be).

Just as an FYI.
There are a large number of users who dual boot using a single uefi partition for both windows and fedora with no issues at all. There are many who use separate efi partitions and have problems, including the need to use the bios boot menu (you mentioned F8) to boot the separate OSes. Bios can only have one default esp on a drive for booting.

Most users who dual boot want the option in the grub menu to select the os for booting.

Drive failure (especially with SSDs) is so rare during the life of most PC/laptops that I wonder why you place that at a priority on what seems a new machine.

Upgrading should not change the current setup and independence you already designed. If grub (or any other boot manager) is already installed the upgrade should also upgrade it but not install anything new.