Cant upgrade kernel-devel

after new kernel released everything is installed but not ‘kernel-devel’ package it throws some strange errors:

Error unpacking rpm package kernel-devel-6.3.5-200.fc38.x86_64 Upgrading        : kernel-devel-matched-6.3.5-200.fc38.x86_64                                                                                        11/29 error: unpacking of archive failed on file /usr/src/kernels/6.3.5-200.fc38.x86_64/include/linux/indirect_call_wrapper.h;647c54a3: cpio: open failed - No such file or directory error: kernel-devel-6.3.5-200.fc38.x86_64: install failed

at first it just ‘running scriptlet’ for a long time then this error occurs.

then i tried to install kernel-devel again but now it’s different error:
hardlink: cannot rename /usr/src/kernels/6.3.5-200.fc38.x86_64/[file] to /usr/src/kernels/6.2.15-300.fc38.x86_64/[file]: No space left on device
i get spammed on console about renaming a bunch of files, also when i opened new tab in zsh i get this:

k_dump_instant_prompt:zf_mv:395: `/home/Dandraghas/.cache/p10k-Dandraghas/prompt-16.tmp.41259': no space left on device
_p9k_dump_state:zf_mv:24: `/home/Dandraghas/.cache/p10k-dump-Dandraghas.zsh.tmp.41259.zwc': no space left on device

what does it mean? after kernel-devel installs stops i dont get error about ‘no space left on device’ and how? before upgrade i even cleaned cache and removed some files, there is definetly a bunch of space. even other packages succefully installed.

Linux Config: resolving the no space left on device error. If you are not comfortable with the command-line, you can use Gnome Disk Usage Analyzer in Fedora.

I have seen cases where a user had a large number of background jobs using large data files. Some programs create large scratch files that are discarded when the job completes. When doing upgrades you should avoid having unnecessary processes running.

1 Like

I would add that one should also use the command df on the command line to see exactly how much space is available on all file systems. If any file system is more than about 85 - 90% full then one should consider the possibility that reorganizing the space available should be considered (especially if that limited space happens to be in / or /var)