Can't play DVD

On Fedora-39 none of the several players I’ve tried will play any film DVD, I can only play them by picking out one file at a time.

Which players have you tried.?
I use VLC successfully. Note that many dvds may require you to add the multimedia codecs from rpmfusion before they are able to be played.

More details of what you have already tried will assist us in helping you.

i tried Celluloid Dragon Player, Haruna, Movie Monad, VLC.

Movie Monad complained that gst-libav was missing. I tried sudo dnf install gst-libav which resulted in Error: Unable to find a match: gst-libav

In case codecs were missing, I tried:
sudo dnf install https://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-$(rpm -E %fedora).noarch.rpm

sudo dnf install https://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-$(rpm -E %fedora).noarch.rpm

Both stated that they were already installed so there was nothing to do.

Have you tried: Howto/Multimedia - RPM Fusion

``
sudo dnf install rpmfusion-free-release-tainted
sudo dnf install libdvdcss

Done, with the following results:
Celluloid Error Playback was terminated abnormally. Reason loading failed
Dragon Player Disk menu appears! Nothing happens when I click on Play Movie
Haruna Media Player No option to play a disk!
Movie Monad Still get error about missing gst-libav
VLC VLC crashes.

You may need to install gstreamer1-plugins-bad-freeworld and gstreamer1-plugins-ugly, both from rpmfusion. It may also require libavcodec-freeworld from rpmfusion.

I have not tried movie monad so cannot tell for sure there but vlc does work for me.

I have the following installed

compat-ffmpeg4.x86_64                                4.4.4-2.fc39                        @rpmfusion-free                                
faad2-libs.x86_64                                    1:2.11.0-1.fc39                     @rpmfusion-free-updates                        
ffmpeg.x86_64                                        6.0.1-2.fc39                        @rpmfusion-free-updates                        
ffmpeg-devel.x86_64                                  6.0.1-2.fc39                        @rpmfusion-free-updates                        
ffmpeg-libs.x86_64                                   6.0.1-2.fc39                        @rpmfusion-free-updates                        
gstreamer1-plugins-bad-freeworld.x86_64              1:1.22.7-1.fc39                     @rpmfusion-free-updates                        
gstreamer1-plugins-ugly.x86_64                       1:1.22.7-1.fc39                     @rpmfusion-free-updates                        
libaacs.x86_64                                       0.11.1-3.fc39                       @rpmfusion-free                                
libavcodec-freeworld.x86_64                          6.0.1-2.fc39                        @rpmfusion-free-updates                        
libavdevice.x86_64                                   6.0.1-2.fc39                        @rpmfusion-free-updates                        
libbdplus.x86_64                                     0.2.0-3.fc39                        @rpmfusion-free                                
libde265.x86_64                                      1.0.12-2.fc39                       @rpmfusion-free                                
libfreeaptx.x86_64                                   0.1.1-5.fc39                        @rpmfusion-free                                
libheif-freeworld.x86_64                             1.16.2-2.fc39                       @rpmfusion-free                                
librtmp.x86_64                                       2.4-23.20210219.gitf1b83c1.fc39     @rpmfusion-free                                
libva-intel-driver.x86_64                            2.4.1-13.20221130gitab755cb.fc39    @rpmfusion-free                                
mjpegtools-libs.x86_64                               2.2.1-4.fc39                        @rpmfusion-free                                
mplayer.x86_64                                       1.5.1-0.8.20230811svn.fc39          @rpmfusion-free                                
mplayer-common.x86_64                                1.5.1-0.8.20230811svn.fc39          @rpmfusion-free                                
pipewire-codec-aptx.x86_64                           0.3.85-1.fc39                       @rpmfusion-free-updates                        
smplayer.x86_64                                      23.6.0-2.fc39                       @rpmfusion-free                                
smtube.x86_64                                        21.10.0-5.fc39                      @rpmfusion-free                                
svt-hevc-libs.x86_64                                 1.5.1-5.fc39                        @rpmfusion-free                                
vlc.x86_64                                           1:3.0.20-1.fc39                     @rpmfusion-free-updates-testing                
vlc-core.x86_64                                      1:3.0.20-1.fc39                     @rpmfusion-free-updates-testing                
vlc-extras.x86_64                                    1:3.0.20-1.fc39                     @rpmfusion-free-updates-testing                
x264-libs.x86_64                                     0.164-10.20231001git31e19f92.fc39   @rpmfusion-free-updates-testing                
x265-libs.x86_64                                     3.5-6.fc39                          @rpmfusion-free                                

There may be more there than required since I have several other apps installed but for multimedia I have installed nothing from any repo other than fedora and rpmfusion. Other 3rd party apps may not work without other supporting packages, and the message from movie monad seems it may be one of those.

I found movie monad on both flathub and github. Where did you install it from?

Movie Monad was from Fedora’s Software application. I converted your list elements to something like this:
sudo dnf install compat-ffmpeg4.x86_64 -y
then ran it. It was a good idea, but it didn’t help, the results were all the same as before. I then found SMPlayer which says that it is a frontend to Mplayer and MPV. It seems to work, and although I haven’t played much, it does enable me to select the disk and start the film with video and sound - which is more than any of the others did. I’ll see how it goes with this one.
It is disappointing that playing a video should always be such a battle. Thanks for your help, I’ll keep that script as SMPlayer might not have worked without it.

On restarting my computer the screen is now completely ********. It seems to be set at 720x400 and can’t be reset through Settings. The Plank is fine but everything else including the top panel is very low resolution.