Can't install NVIDIA driver due to "conflicting requests"

Hi,

I’m trying to install NVIDIA drivers on F36 following this guide: Howto/NVIDIA - RPM Fusion

However when I run dnf install akmod-nvidia I get a strange error:

# dnf install akmod-nvidia

Last metadata expiration check: 0:01:24 ago on Fri 19 Aug 2022 15:28:56.
Error: 
 Problem: conflicting requests
  - package akmod-nvidia-3:510.68.02-1.fc36.x86_64 requires nvidia-kmod-common >= 3:510.68.02, but none of the providers can be installed
  - package akmod-nvidia-3:515.65.01-1.fc36.x86_64 requires nvidia-kmod-common >= 3:515.65.01, but none of the providers can be installed
  - package xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-3:510.68.02-1.fc36.x86_64 is filtered out by modular filtering
  - package xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-3:515.65.01-1.fc36.x86_64 is filtered out by modular filtering
(try to add '--skip-broken' to skip uninstallable packages)

I’ve never seen this error and searching around didn’t bring anything useful… Any ideas?

The system is fully up to date.

My repolist is:

repo id                                                                                                       repo name
fedora                                                                                                        Fedora 36 - x86_64
fedora-cisco-openh264                                                                                         Fedora 36 openh264 (From Cisco) - x86_64
fedora-modular                                                                                                Fedora Modular 36 - x86_64
rpmfusion-free                                                                                                RPM Fusion for Fedora 36 - Free
rpmfusion-free-updates                                                                                        RPM Fusion for Fedora 36 - Free - Updates
rpmfusion-nonfree                                                                                             RPM Fusion for Fedora 36 - Nonfree
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates                                                                                     RPM Fusion for Fedora 36 - Nonfree - Updates
updates                                                                                                       Fedora 36 - x86_64 - Updates
updates-modular 

akmod-nvidia-3:510.68.02-1.fc36.x86_64 and xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-3:510.68.02-1.fc36.x86_64 were updated to version 515.65.01-2 on rpmfusion-nonfree-updates.
Refreshing your package database should remove all references to 510.68.02-1 and eliminate the conflict.
More aggressive alternatives if refresh doesn’t stop the conflict:
sudo dnf clean dbcache
Removes cache files generated from the repository metadata.
This forces DNF to regenerate the cache files the next time it is
run.
sudo dnf clean expire-cache
Marks the repository metadata expired. DNF will re-validate the
cache for each repository the next time it is used.
sudo dnf clean metadata
Removes repository metadata. Those are the files which DNF uses
to determine the remote availability of packages. Using this op‐
tion will make DNF download all the metadata the next time it is
run.

sudo dnf --refresh install akmod-nvidia

[rj@rawhide ~]$ sudo dnf --refresh install akmod-nvidia --disablerepo=rpmfusion-nonfree-rawhide --enablerepo=rpmfusion-nonfree-updates --enablerepo=fedora-36 --disablerepo=rawhide
_dnf_local                                      3.0 MB/s | 3.0 kB     00:00    
Fedora 36 - x86_64                              4.5 MB/s |  81 MB     00:17    
Fedora rawhide openh264 (From Cisco) - x86_64   1.3 kB/s | 989  B     00:00    
Fedora - Modular Rawhide - Developmental packag  31 kB/s |  17 kB     00:00    
Fedora - Modular Rawhide - Developmental packag 107 kB/s | 141 kB     00:01    
google-chrome                                   5.8 kB/s | 1.3 kB     00:00    
nordvpn                                         5.8 kB/s | 2.5 kB     00:00    
RPM Fusion for Fedora Rawhide - Free             12 kB/s | 3.3 kB     00:00    
RPM Fusion for Fedora rawhide - Free tainted     12 kB/s | 3.2 kB     00:00    
RPM Fusion for Fedora rawhide - Nonfree - Updat 7.7 kB/s | 3.9 kB     00:00    
Dependencies resolved.
================================================================================
 Package              Arch   Version            Repository                 Size
================================================================================
Installing:
 akmod-nvidia         x86_64 3:515.65.01-2.fc37 rpmfusion-nonfree-updates  39 k
Installing dependencies:
 egl-gbm              x86_64 1.1.0-2.fc36       fedora-36                  20 k
 egl-wayland          x86_64 1.1.9-4.fc36       fedora-36                  37 k
 nvidia-settings      x86_64 3:515.65.01-2.fc37 rpmfusion-nonfree-updates 1.7 M
 xorg-x11-drv-nvidia  x86_64 3:515.65.01-2.fc38 rpmfusion-nonfree-updates  26 M
 xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-kmodsrc
                      x86_64 3:515.65.01-2.fc38 rpmfusion-nonfree-updates  32 M
 xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs
                      x86_64 3:515.65.01-2.fc38 rpmfusion-nonfree-updates 178 M
Installing weak dependencies:
 xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-cuda-libs
                      x86_64 3:515.65.01-2.fc38 rpmfusion-nonfree-updates  48 M
 xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-power
                      x86_64 3:515.65.01-2.fc38 rpmfusion-nonfree-updates 195 k

Transaction Summary
Install  9 Packages

Total download size: 286 M
Installed size: 629 M
Is this ok [y/N]:

Does anyone have enough experience with modular packages to know what the following statement means,.

is filtered out by modular filtering

I assume that modular packages is needed by this particular system. If not, I would suggest disable fedora-modular and updates-modular.

Simply go to NVidia website, download and install appropriate diver for your display card. Supported OS => Linux x64 and ARM, Solaris, FreeBSD, … any problem is linked to Red Hat/CentOS/Fedora approach to FOSS … For advanced frameworks you need Fedora 35.

I personally always disable the modular and modular-updates repos. I never have an issue with that type error.

However, if you want good & informed assistance you need to provide the full details of the message. We can not guess what the command you issued was, nor what the actual message said.

One simple fix that has always seemed to work for me is to

1. dnf remove *nvidia* --exclude nvidia-gpu-firmware
  2. dnf --refresh install akmod-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-cuda
  3. wait 2 to 5 minutes then reboot.

This 3 step process always removes any older packages and installs the latest version for you thus eliminating the version conflict seen above. It also avoids the need to manually install and upgrade the modules as would be needed if you chose to follow the suggestion of @marko23 above…

1 Like

I even remove it completely

dnf remove fedora-repos-modular.noarch

Back when it was new, it gave quite a bit of update problems when modular packages conclicted with regular packages and things like that. It seems there are not many packages in fedora-modular any more.

WHat the original poster needs or has from fedora-modular I have no idea.

1 Like

Do remember to quote wildcards when specifying package names. You don’t want them to expand to a list of files if you happen to have files that matches `nvidia’ in your current directory.

Thanks, getting rid of this Modular thing solved the issue!

To fix my specific error, it was actually enough to disable some “nvidia driver” module:

dnf module disable nvidia-driver

and it solved the install issue.

Following Jeff’s suggestion, I also ran

dnf remove fedora-repos-modular.noarch

because I never used Modular and I don’t remember turning it on…

Thanks for the timely and detailed help!

This could be the explanation.

https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/solution-modular-filtering-issue-for-nvidia-drivers-cuda-sources-conflict/14063/2

cuda-fedora33-x86_64 provides a modular package.

1. That package is not in either fedora or rpmfusion, so where would it have been installed from?
  2. The name tells me it is likely for a fedora 33 machine, so it seems unlikely that it would ever be installed on a fedora 36 system.

Your comment seems irrelevant since it does not apply to the packages that are in this discussion and not one the OP is having an issue with.

[root@eagle etc]# dnf list cuda-*
Last metadata expiration check: 1:24:51 ago on Sun 21 Aug 2022 01:43:50 PM CDT.
Error: No matching Packages to list
[root@eagle etc]# dnf repolist
repo id                                                     repo name
PlexRepo                                                    PlexRepo
fedora                                                      Fedora 36 - x86_64
fedora-cisco-openh264                                       Fedora 36 openh264 (From Cisco) - x86_64
google-chrome                                               google-chrome
phracek-PyCharm                                             Copr repo for PyCharm owned by phracek
rpmfusion-free                                              RPM Fusion for Fedora 36 - Free
rpmfusion-free-tainted                                      RPM Fusion for Fedora 36 - Free tainted
rpmfusion-free-updates                                      RPM Fusion for Fedora 36 - Free - Updates
rpmfusion-nonfree                                           RPM Fusion for Fedora 36 - Nonfree
rpmfusion-nonfree-steam                                     RPM Fusion for Fedora 36 - Nonfree - Steam
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates                                   RPM Fusion for Fedora 36 - Nonfree - Updates
updates                                                     Fedora 36 - x86_64 - Updates

cuda-fedora33 is (was) a repository provided by nvidia company, and of course meant for Fedora33 . So maybe a couple of years ago that repository has been enabled and the package nvidia-driver from that repository is a modular package. Therefore nvidia-driver is still enabled as a module until you actually disable it. And that even long time after cuda-fedora33 has been removed as a repository.

If you want to check for your self here is the repository configuration

[cuda-fedora33-x86_64]
name=cuda-fedora33-x86_64
baseurl=https://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/repos/fedora33/x86_64
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=https://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/repos/fedora33/x86_64/D42D0685.pub

Then run dnf module list and you will find the mystery module.

Now, verious xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-xxx packages from rpmfusion also provides nvidia-driver and that is why you can’t install any of then as long as nvidia-driver is enabled as a module. The original poster actually did disable it and thereby solved the problem.

2 Likes

Learn something new every day. My how things change over time!

Guess I avoided that one by only using rpmfusion.

Please do not suggest that users use the binary blob from the Nvidia website. It causes all sorts of issues. All users should be please pointed to the RPM Fusion Nvidia drivers only—they are packaged up to work with the Fedora package set, and issues there should be debugged as we’re doing here.

2 Likes