Can't enter a filename when saving in elementary-code or GNOME Text Editor

I recently installed the Pantheon group in Fedora 36 Workstation. Since then, I have been having trouble saving files in both elementary-code and GNOME Text Edit. At first I thought it had something to do with Pantheon so I removed the entire Pantheon group. But now it’s happening in GNOME 42.2 and 42.3, too. When I go to save a file in GNOME Text Editor, the Save As dialog opens as expected, but once I start to enter a filename, the Save As dialog suddenly launches into a search for whatever it is I’m typing. I can enter a filename if I copy/paste the filename from the document itself, but not if I just type a filename to save.

As far as I can tell, this is only happening in elementary-code and GNOME Text Editor. The Save As dialog works as expected in other apps, such as LibreOffice, Firefox, and Gimp.

Here is a folder that contains 1) a screen recording showing what I’m experiencing in GNOME Text Editor, 2) my dnf history since installing the Pantheon group, and 3) the journalctl output for the Text Edit session captured in the screen recording:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1V_4Eo3KOcqrehX50Q42SiLQX-TJNEvOd?usp=sharing

I have since removed the Pantheon group, and I’ve reinstalled gnome-text-editor, both to no avail. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Update: I never figured out what the problem was. I tried completely removing GNOME (sudo dnf group remove GNOME), then reinstalling it. That didn’t work. So I took drastic measures and completely reinstalled Fedora. Since then, I’ve done my usual post-install tweaking (adding GNOME Extensions that I care about, changing the look and feel, etc.) and so far saving filenames in GNOME Text Editor works as expected. So although I never located or repaired the offending element, my problem has been resolved. I plan to install the Pantheon Group again later. I will report back if saving a filename breaks again.

I can confirm that this has something to do with the “Pantheon Group”. I do not know which component is causing it, but the unexpected behavior (GTK_FILE_CHOOSER_ACTION_SAVE turning into a search mechanism for no reason) returned immediately after I installed the Pantheon Group.

Sounds like it is time to report a bug :upside_down_face:

@computersavvy thanks, I have been steeling myself to do just that. However, I’ve never reported a bug for anything before and I’m a little nervous. Part of the problem is that I experienced the behavior in two completely different programs (GNOME Text Editor and Elementary Code) and in two completely different DEs (GNOME and Pantheon). I was able to determine that the instigator was the “Pantheon Desktop” group, though. I know this isn’t a Fedora-specific question, but would it be reasonable to submit the bug to the Elementary Code team, or to the Pantheon Group team at Fedora? I’ve already got a Bugzilla login, so I’m ready to do this; I’m just not sure who I should report it to. Can you steer me in the right direction?

Login. All products=>Fedora. Fedora products=>Fedora For component, if you start typing pantheon, it will show list of choices. Hopefully, one of them will work. (Not having used Pantheon, I’m not familiar with it.
It’s a bit of a pain to report a bug, but it’s nice when you’re the cause of something getting fixed,

Thank you @scottro

Bug reported

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2107722