Cannot set up OpenVPN (vpnc)

It appears that I cannot set up an OpenConnect VPN connection since Fedora 36. When I try, I get the error message “Error: unable to load VPN connection editor” (see screenshots).

Back on Fedora 35 and before I never experienced that problem.

Looking online, I found an older bug report for Fedora 29, which suggests to install NetworkManager-libreswan concluding the bug.

Other sources (e.g. for Ubuntu) suggest to install openvpn network-manager-openvpn and network-manager-openvpn-gnome.

However, I do have all these packages installed and removed and re-installed them, to make sure that they are not broken.

# dnf list NetworkManager-libreswan NetworkManager-libreswan-gnome NetworkManager-openvpn NetworkManager-openvpn-gnome NetworkManager-vpnc NetworkManager-vpnc-gnome openvpn vpnc
Last metadata expiration check: 0:07:14 ago on Fri 27 May 2022 02:54:13 PM CEST.
Installed Packages
NetworkManager-libreswan.x86_64         1.2.16-1.fc36          @fedora
NetworkManager-libreswan-gnome.x86_64   1.2.16-1.fc36          @fedora
NetworkManager-openvpn.x86_64           1:1.8.18-1.fc36        @fedora
NetworkManager-openvpn-gnome.x86_64     1:1.8.18-1.fc36        @fedora
NetworkManager-vpnc.x86_64              1:1.2.8-1.fc36         @fedora
NetworkManager-vpnc-gnome.x86_64        1:1.2.8-1.fc36         @fedora
openvpn.x86_64                          2.5.6-1.fc36           @fedora
vpnc.x86_64                             0.5.3-43.svn550.fc36   @fedora

While removed, I even tested to confirm that those VPN options disappeared; and they did. Though once re-installed, I was at square one again.

The installation is a fresh install using Fedora Server 36 which was “uplifted” to Cinnamon Desktop using an installation and configuration script I wrote.

Is there something I missed? A package yet maybe? Some permissions incorrect on specific files? Or did the aforementioned bug return with a vengeance (regression)?

Welcome back, Phoenix. Did you check Common Issues in this forum? https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/cant-configure-ssh-vpn-in-gnome-settings/62948

1 Like

@mhdave, I did check around as well as the “related topics” coming up when typing my question, but none seemed to match what I was looking for. So, I must have missed that.

Thanks! Now I know the background. So, it’s just waiting then (wouldn’t be able to fix/update those myself).

This issue occured to me because I installed the KDE version and switched to GNOME, but the Fedora installation didn’t install the required packages for VPNs to work on GNOME. If anyone is still having this issue, you need to install packages for the different VPNs:

Cisco (vpnc) sudo dnf install NetworkManager-vpnc-gnome

Multi-protocol (openconnect) sudo dnf install openconnect NetworkManager-openconnect NetworkManager-openconnect-gnome

Layer 2 tunneling protocol (l2tp) sudo dnf install xl2tpd NetworkManager-l2tp NetworkManager-l2tp-gnome

OpenVPN sudo dnf install openvpn NetworkManager-openvpn NetworkManager-openvpn-gnome

Thank you for the information. Note that your post is 4 release versions past the one this thread was based on.

In the future please create you own thread and link the old threads so we know what other older threads are similar. They are not identical due to the age and the many software updates that have occurred in the time between.