Cannot Create VNC Server

I’m running Fedora 35 and trying to set up a VNC Server on a new desktop. I have been following the TigeVNC documentation (https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fedora/rawhide/system-administrators-guide/infrastructure-services/TigerVNC/), but I can’t seem to get past the initial install.

In Step 2 of configuring the server, it says to edit the /etc/systemd/system/vncserver@.service file; replacing USER with the actual user name.

So I run ExecStart=/sbin/runuser -l myuser -c "/usr/bin/vncserver %i -geometry 1280x1024" PIDFile=/home/myuser/.vnc/%H%i.pid having replaced USER with my account and I receive the error “sudo: myuser: command not found”

Any ideas on what I’m doing wrong here?

If you’re using Fedora Workstation (Gnome), I believe it already shipped with minimal vnc server. You can enable it with “Gnome Settings” → “Sharing”. Enable it and also enable the “Screen Sharing”. Then open “Connections” app and type the IP address to test. If you’re not set the password, you need to accept the connection each time there an incoming connection.

1 Like

I can’t believe I spent as much time as I did trying to install and configure VNC when it was there, under my nose, with just a few clicks.

Thanks @oprizal . That did the trick. I am able to remote in and out of the machine now.