Can I install plasma-mobile on Fedora Kinoite 39?

I currently have Fedora Kinoite 39 installed on a Surface GO 2. I seem to remember that there is a plasma-mobile rpm on Fedora… Is it possible for me to install this on Fedora Kinoite 39 and how would I do it? I assume that it should be installed using rpm-ostree, but I wouldn’t know how to call up the interface when I want to use it… Any ideas?

If you want to install it from the Fedora repos, then sudo rpm-ostree install is the way to go. Keep in mind that you’ll most likely need to reboot for it to be installed (there is an --apply-live option but can be hit and miss) and show up in your desktop environment once you do.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I got it installed and running, however there was only an English language virtual keyboard available, and performance just wasn’t up to snuff compared to GNOME in my opinion, despite my being relatively KDE centric…

That missing language should just be an additional package. It needs to be an RPM, you cant install random things on Atomic (which is a good thing!)

Plasma mobile is very undermaintained, especially when you take GNOME as a touch-friendly alternative.

You absolutely can install RPMs on Atomic. There are some things that can only be installed that way. rpm-ostree is a supported way to install things on Atomic Desktops.

Here’s the docs for how to install from RPM on Kinoite:

It needs to be an RPM, you cant install random things on Atomic (which is a good thing!)

An RPM is not a random install script ;D