Campaign to get Windows 7 users to upgrade to Linux?

GLUGs are fantastic, and I hope that each and every member of the Free
Software community gets to be a member of one at some point.

The Freedom aspect is more of a feeling we try to convey. However, we all should know by now that FOSS is not actually free. It is freeing but costs a lot in time, effort, resources, and yes, it costs monetarily as well. Someone always pays for “freedom”.

Sent on my Samsung Galaxy S® 5

The Freedom aspect is more of a feeling we try to convey.

No, Free Software is legally defined by a Free Software license. Free Software
respects your Four Freedoms.

However, we all should know by now that FOSS is not actually free. It is
freeing but costsa lot in time, effort, resources, and yes, it costs
monetarily as well.

Free as in Freedom, Libre not Gratis.

Sent on my Samsung Galaxy S® 5
Is that running Replicant?

Fedora is my favorite Linux distribution, and I like this discussion a lot. That said, I don’t think Fedora, especially the workstation edition, are suitable for larger migration campaigns or newcomers.

One would at least want to offer a newcomer a complete experience and GNOME doesn’t offer that. The desktop is ascetically bare and restrictive, one could say a legacy touchscreen/mobile desktop prototype - no desktop icons, no simple way to create folders, no admin access to files via the file manager.

Sure, ways exist to mold and force GNOME into a complete desktop experience, but that’s nevertheless a steep learning curve for the Windows user. Most of all: GNOME devs don’t even recommend installing external themes and extensions. In other words, the desktop is designed to be used as is.

Gnome is minimal, in that it doesn’t automatically install desktop icons (the same as MS), and most applications adhere to the Freedesktop.org guidelines for UI experience. A decluttered desktop is a happy desktop. Nautilus is quite easy to use for creating folders, and I have never had issue with admin rights using anything on Fedora, so what specifically are you referring to?

The Fedora guidelines on what is acceptable for licensing purposes, will often exclude an extension since it is provided by third parties not beholding to Fedora’s licensing requirements, thus Gnome Dev’s won’t recommend them outright. As for the comparison, I have never found anything intrinsically good about the way MS does their desktop, aside from say the way their software and their partners software tightly integrate with the system. Even that is with a caveat since the proprietary nature of their business model causes limits on how, and what even I can use for a specific task on MY pc. The computer is a tool, and should be readily able to be used for sure, but it isn’t an appliance.

Yes, that’s the common response. GNOME is right, other desktops are wrong. The reality shows a different picture. Ubuntu modifies GNOME to offer a more user-friendly experience, others wrote Cinnamon and Mate to overcome the crippling minimalism. Basic functions that are standard with all desktop environments don’t exist, let’s call a spade a spade. Whether that’s better or worse, I am not getting into philosophical arguments.

The licensing issue has nothing to do with the choice of GNOME devs. There is a long blog post of GNOME devs complaining about themes and extensions, because they cause breakage and the team has no interest, nor time to support them.

Hey, y’all, let’s not start another “what is the best DE?“ again…

Actually Windows (7) users should get to know the biggest advantage of Linux: That they have the choice…
They can choose whatever DE they want and switch etc.

That said, they obviously need some guidance at the same time. But I know, to combine this can be hard.
But as said, I like the approach of https://computefreely.org/ there…

1 Like

Good point. You right. It’s a nice website. Wasn’t aware of it

BTW, great video by a big YouTuber as it seems exactly about the topic (upgrading from Windows 7):

The comments are also pretty impressive…

I agree, and this is really why the spins should be promoted more prominently,
such as the KDE Spin.

Perhaps the best link I can think of on the topic:

http://upgradefromwindows.com/

1 Like

Yes, it’s quite nice, but this has already been discussed and thing is while the site is quite nice in many aspects, they only seem to promote “their” distro’s.

Unfortunately most Windows users are a breed apart hey, most Windows users won’t even give two h00ts about future updates and/or LTS.

Most will just end up buying a new machine with a newer version of Windows on it lol.

It’s a shame that Microsoft have lost their way, XP wasn’t that bad at the time if you knew what you were doing. And the Windows Longhorn alpha/beta pre Vista was on the right track, that OS had some real promise. Twas like an improved version of XP with transparent glass Aero, smart looking.

Windows 7 was the last time that something was vaguely right. Let’s be honest Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 is/was utter tosh. Performance wise Windows 10 is nothing short of embarrassing when compared to the other 4x Linux OS’s that I multi-boot. I only keep it purely for occasional compatibility and perhaps nostalgia’s sake. I hate booting in to Windows 10…It locks me in with hours of Windows Updates every single time. True story…I turn on computer and update 4x Linux distro’s in less than 10 minutes, then boot in to Windows 10 and I’m watching spinning beads for hours, downloading/preparing/Initializing/Installing/restarting/configuring, no wonder the global web is so freaking slow.

Microsoft Windows is bloatware and it’s archaic software compatibility is what makes it even slower year on year. They really need to start from fresh and/or emphasise on making a slim bare-bones lite version.

You can lead a horse to water…but making a Microsoft Windows user drink is a completely different kettle of fish.

What’s even more scary is the amount of governmental institutions that use Microsoft Windows. Sad but true.

Then factor in Arm tablets, phablets, and mobile devices, the desktop world has become even more of a niche market. iOS in my opinion even makes Windows look miserably slow.

I see that Edge is being replaced with a Chromium build, about bloody time, that’s what we are up against, Edge and Internet Explorer users lol, Netscape’s Navigator on the other hand was a real privilege to use, haha.

• Internet Explorer vs Netscape Navigator (they only won by ramming it down pre-installed throats)

• Windows Phone (what a Nokia joke)

• Live/Bing vs Google (Bing even with Yahoo is terrible, I personally use neither)

• Edge vs Chrome (we will make a Chromium version)

I’d prefer a campaign to beat them with a stick…rofl.

On another note, now that IBM aka Big Blue owns Red Hat, and that obviously the Fedora community helps to shape the future of RHEL. Good or Bad? Any thoughts on that?

BTW, this site has been recommended to me, and it seems to be a little better for users switching from Windows (or Mac):

https://librehunt.org/