Bug in F40? Packages missing for AD integration

Hello,

I have a new Laptop (Yoga Pro 9i 2024) so am “forced” to use the Beta version of Fedora. I have an active directory at home (served by Samba) so after performing installation tried to join it.

First of all, in “Settings → System → Users → Add Enterprise Login” adding a user fails. I tried to do it command-line with “realm join” and it failed as well. This turns out to be missing packages:

realm: Couldn't join realm: Necessary packages are not installed: sssd-common oddjob oddjob-mkhomedir sssd-ad adcli

After adding packages with rpm-ostree I was able to join the domain and add my domain user. Even the message above is incorrect, as one of the packages is samba-common-tools which is not mentioned (needed for /usr/bin/net). Specifically I installed:

rpm-ostree install adcli
rpm-ostree install sssd-ad
rpm-ostree install oddjob-mkhomedir
rpm-ostree install samba-common-tools

Since this is my very fist time using Silverblue, it seems like a bug specific to this (I’ve done this with no issues on Fedora Workstation 39 in the past).

I this a “beta” issue or is it a bug that affects Silverblue versions more generally?

I think this is Enterprise Login required packages at First Setup missing · Issue #320 · fedora-silverblue/issue-tracker · GitHub.

Could you go through the Request a new package process and copy the answer to all the questions in the existing issue (Enterprise Login required packages at First Setup missing · Issue #320 · fedora-silverblue/issue-tracker · GitHub) so that we have some data to take a decision? Thanks

1 Like

I used a fresh VM to test this and make sure I get the correct list of packages.

Raised: New Package Request: <package name> · Issue #550 · fedora-silverblue/issue-tracker · GitHub

Since the problem is now understood, I will mark your answer as the solution. Anyone reviewing this will have enough information to address the problem.

1 Like