Brand new Lenovo laptop - should I run Lenovo setup/update process before installing Fedora?

I have a new Lenovo Yoga 7 (Model Yoga 7 16ARP8). It has Windows installed and it insists I connect it to a network to run some kind of first time setup/update procedure. I don’t want to do that unless it’s essential for some reason. I am hoping not, but wonder if anyone could confirm please?

(I have Fedora installer ready and will just crack on with installing that without ever running this Lenovo setup utility or, more importantly, the dreaded Bill Gates OS we all know and love/hate) :slight_smile:

The real issue is to question whether that is truly a lenovo required update or if it may be windows related – drivers, etc.

If you are replacing windows then it would seem not required.
If you are intending to dual boot then it would seem to be required for the windows installation.

Your use and plans should answer that question.

In any case, once you have the system booted it is logical to ensure the bios is updated to the latest version.

Thanks, good points there.

I have heard of dual booting but never done it (used VMs plenty but never dual boot). How easy is it to do it? I did consider installing Windows in a VM just for that odd occasion I may need to use Windows, but that’s very rare and i have old laptops I can do that with if absolutely necessary, or I could just use VM as and when needed.

So assuming I don’t intend to dual boot, may I ask…

1. License key - Is it possible to get the Windows Key from this machine before wiping it? I assume that’s not possible without going into Windows and letting it phone home etc. I don’t see any paperwork with the machine (was new and sealed from factory) and don’t know how license keys work since I last used Windows (NT!) The only reason, and it’s not critical, is that if I ever wanted windows running in a VM, I’d have a license to install a downloaded installer (from MS). The version apparently installed on this is Windows 11 Home.

2. Your last comment was interesting, re updating the Bios. Do you think I’d need to run this first time setup thing, to update the BIOS? Or could I check/install any BIOS updates afer installing Fedora?

Thanks for replying

You should check out if Linux Vendor Firmware Service (through fwupd) supports firmware updates for your model.
If not, I would highly recommend to use Lenovo’s Windows-based tools to update BIOS (and other firmwares).

3 Likes

In modern machines, your Windows license is stored in BIOS. If you ever go back to Windows, it will find the license in the BIOS. I don’t think you can export that license to a VM, but not sure about it.

If your model is support by LVFS, you can use Fedora to update BIOS firmware.
If not, just download the Lenovo System Updater and run it (no need for the initial crap thing).

Not sure I understand, bit over my head and no idea of any terminal commands to check that. I want to avoid using Windows as much as possible, but if needs be…
thanks

Thanks.
I helped a friend pull his License Key off a windows machine he bought online, I found a terminal command to extract it and it seemed to work. I was hoping to do something similar for VM use.

Re LVFS - The model is a 2023 manufactured Yoga 7 16", I would expect it to be supported and therefore hope Fedora could update BIOS firmware. If not, that Lenovo System Updater sounds a good call, especially if it means no need for Windows.

Let me share my experience. I normally download Windows version of BIOS updater (if there is no ready binary update file), then run renamer EXE (this is for ASUS TUF motherboards) in Bottles, it does what it is supposed to do with the CAP file. Last step is to put the CAP file onto USB stick, reboot to BIOS and update normally. This method helped me avoid Windows for BIOS updates.

One quick question I keep meaning to ask…

When you get a machine, what’s the most efficient way to test HW compatibility while running the USB live version of Fedora? Do I have to make calls, take pictures etc etc, to test each component or is there some kind of routine or Fedora test I can run, or an area in Fedora settings that shows any hardware that’s not working properly?

Thanks Arturas, sadly and regrettably, that went wooooshing over my head! Way out of my knowledge level, I will learn if I have to, but if my machine is modern and Fedora can update the BIOS, that would sure be a welcome relief :slight_smile:

Out of curiosity - I am running Fedora off USB installer currently. This machine has great reviews especially for multimedia use and general movie watching etc. I am testing it with a youtube music video and the audio levels seem pretty damn low, it’s not even as loud as my Google Pixel 7 phone. Just wondering, is this a Fedora thing? If so, is there a cure? I can’t imagine it would not be louder and more impressive on Windows. AAAH - Just seen it has Dolby Atmos, guessing that won’t work in Fedora. Any tips/ideas appreciated. thanks everyone.

You should be able to pull the OEM license key using this command:

sudo strings /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/MSDM
1 Like

Flo said the license key is stored in bios.
Hmmm
I recently installed windows 11 in a VM using libvirt and vmm on a home built system where I have never had windows installed. It has not asked for licensing nor have I had any problems with using it on the rare occasion where I was testing things out. At this point the install is more than 3 months old.

1 Like

I think that this is not a good assumption. I get the distinct impression that whether or not Lenovo support your model of laptop in LVFS depends on their intentions with Linux for the model and the history of the BIOS firmware on it.

I strongly suggest that you check it out using your Serial Number in Lenovo’s webform for this, which can be found here, and figure this into your decision about how to set up your computer. This is especially true if the method for doing BIOS updates process described in this thread seems daunting. Lenovo only provide a BIOS update file that works from within a running Windows OS out of the box.

I have a three year old Yoga 6 and it is not supported in LVFS, and I suspect it will never be supported.

Good luck!

1 Like

Not sure if I can help regarding low volume situation.

About codecs, in order to improve the situation you will have to add missing ones from RPMFusion, that’s community repository for the stuff Fedora cannot provide due to legal circumstances. You mentioned that you are not ready (yet) mess with command line stuff, anyway , you can enable RPMFusion and then install missing media stuff. I know, it might look scary, but as you came to Linux, be ready to get your hands dirty in CLI :smile: . As always, you can backup your system before introducing such changes, so you can go back to the previous working state of your laptop without reinstalling OS in case your experiments end up in disaster you cannot recover from.

1 Like

Am I right in thinking you mean that command can be run in Linux CLI after installing Fedora? If so, that would be magic :slight_smile:

Thanks very much for the link. I entered my serial number and it doesn’t look good:

Not entirely sure where that leaves me, Flo said in an earlier reply:

“If your model is support by LVFS, you can use Fedora to update BIOS firmware.
If not, just download the Lenovo System Updater and run it (no need for the initial crap thing).”

That second line - Maybe I read it wrong but seems like I can just install something in Fedora without going through this Lenovo/Windows first time setup/update, am I wrong in thinking that?
thanks

Thanks. I am not as scared as I might sound about using CLI. My main fear is pasting in stuff I don’t understand. So whilst I have used CLI and will certainly do so, I won’t just paste a list of commands ‘willy-nilly’, as I really want to know what I am doing before doing anything in there, especially with sudo.

I do have a list of things I intend to once I have installed Fedora, some of which are CLI. This video is in my bookmarks as it has some handy stuff I tested and liked when I ran Fedora for a few weeks to try it out (on a Macbook, and yes I did sort of get everything working with a lot of CLI stuff, but it was guesswork and even though it worked, the machine felt ‘dirty’ after all that CLI editing, so I decided to get rid of Apple hardware and attack this properly, starting with a ‘fairly’ OTB linux-ready system.

The speaker issue is a bit of a concern, they are really quiet. I will have to do some scouring on the web to see if Dolby Atmos issues on Linux have been addressed in some way before, I’d expect/hope so.

Do you know of any way to find out if Fedora has any issues with hardware/drivers etc on my machine? I don’t know how to find out. On Linux HW Database, those probes list hardware that is/isn’t working. How is that found out? Is there a program I can install in Fedora that will test every piece of HW and report whether Fedora is handling it correctly?
thanks again

1 Like

I bought an Ideapad gaming in january. I powered it up to download Fedora 37 and go. I works great OOTB on Fedora, most Lenovo products do.

P.S. A good example re HW testing, is the camera. It’s working, but the resolution seems a lot lower than I’d expect for this machine. It’s probably usable, but seems like it could be a whole lot finer and more detailed.

Hello @joeyjonnson ,
I have two Lenovo laptops, a ThinkPad E530, and a ThnkPad X250 Carbon. Both run Fedora OOTB, no problems and I don’t think they fall under the list of known Lenovo Linux Supported Devices. As for the firmware, if it is like mine I can flash it with a usb stick from BIOS if Fedora doesn’t support it, which I believe it did last time I checked on the X250. Currently my E530 has GuixSD on it so I cannot check it.
As for usability on the LiveFS, I am not certain the optimum kernel drivers would get loaded without your intervention manually, after it’s booted. Never mind saving the configuration because I don’t think persistence of data is done without some manual user intervention.
Personally, if it was me, I would go ahead with the install without doing any windows related stuff since if you come to the conclusion you want Windows re-installed it is fairly easy to do.

1 Like