Bluetooth headphones do not work

Instead of bumping this old post (Bluetooth not working properly), I thought I would start a new discussion. I’ve been experiencing this same exact problem since I installed Silverblue back in August of last year. I cannot use my headphones, and get the exact same error in my logs. In particular, this one:

RFCOMM server failed for Headset Voice gateway: rfcomm_bind: Address already in use (98)

Running “ps aux|grep pulse” gets me this:

gdm 1732 0.0 0.0 1305040 13208 ? S<sl 13:45 0:00 /usr/bin/pulseaudio --daemonize=no
[my username]+ 2116 3.5 0.0 2953176 16560 ? S<sl 13:45 10:09 /usr/bin/pulseaudio --daemonize=no

Up until now, I just accepted that I couldn’t use my headphones at work, but now the COVID-19 is changing all that, and wireless is a must at home, for various reasons.

From what I can tell, this error has something to do with gdm taking over the headset profile. Because my headphones can be a headset (I assume because they have a mic)–and gnome seems to want to default to that mode–I always get the error. I’d be okay with just using them in headphone mode instead, but because this is Silverblue, none of the workarounds I’ve found online to accomplish this will work, as they require changes to system files of various sorts. The other option is stopping gdm from taking over pulseaudio, which also requires making changes to system files (example: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=243072).

I’m not super familiar with modifying system files in rpm-ostree, and my searches thus far haven’t been very fruitful. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.