Avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "/dev/ttyUSB0": Permission denied

I know this question have been asked so many times before, but I think my case is a little bit different, my username is “vu”, I added myself to the dialout group by “sudo usermod -a -G dialout vu”, I also logged out and logged in, but it still didn’t change anything, the error still there.

Then I tried a few command to check if I already in the dialout group, “groups” with no username is supposed to be showing groups that the current user are in right?, but as you can see it only show I’m in the group “vu” and “wheel”, then when I do the “groups vu” it shows “vu wheel dialout”, could this be the problem?, I’m pretty new to linux so I really have no idea know what’s going on lol
56af1a4507811ccc0a4e0538c9fbd2a8ab3e722b.png

the man page for command groups says the following, with the most important part in brackets:

Print group memberships for each USERNAME or, if no USERNAME is specified, for the current process (which may differ if the groups database has changed)

I guess you need to restart.

see man page: groups(1) - Linux manual page

PS: in future, please post terminal output as Preformatted Text, not as screenshot image (see PSA: Please don't post images of text - Unix & Linux Meta Stack Exchange). Thx.

2 Likes

Yup, a reboot works