Article series: MAKE more with... Inkscape

I would never claim to show full potential of Inkscape. I using it since 18 years now and surly count to advanced users but I never would claim to know everything. There are alone if I remember right 12 ways to select objects, I have surly used exotic things like the eggbot but I never used XIA which converts the SVG to interactive HTML5 and JS

I didn’t mean to infer that you would write a full potential article, but on the topic of Inkscape, I know there is more ways to do things with it than I can reasonably assess without becoming an Inkscape expert. At least that is the impression I get. In any case, an article about Inkscape should be done.

+1 from me @gnokii
I’ve created Taiga card #350

We can create the other article cards in your series as you create the articles. Simply let us know the titles when the time comes.

It looks like you have a FAS account and have signed the FPCA. Please log into Taiga so we can assign the card to you.
https://teams.fedoraproject.org/project/asamalik-fedora-magazine/kanban

Information on writing for the Magazine are located here.
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fedora-magazine/writing-an-article/

Please let us know if you have questions, and thanks for volunteering to help on the Fedora Magazine.

Yeah imagine, I am an adult frog and clickbaiter :wink: I prefer to write my articles like I used to, means I write them put them into wp and format them and when they ready I will mark them as such one and according to the howto thats still a way to go

1 Like

@gnokii That sounds like a good plan. Can you sign in to Taiga so we can assign card #350 to you, please? Your FAS account should give you access.
Thanks.

Ok, its in WP now ready for review, but one thing please dont hit the publish button. It is a series so in should be regularly that the articles come, 3 or 4 weeks. So I want to have at least the second article ready before you publish otherwise I get to much time pressure.

@gnokii Great. We will assign an editor to it and start a review. Having the second article ready is a very good plan.

In the mean time, can you sign in to Taiga so we can assign card #350 to you, please? Your FAS account should give you access. We need you to sign in before we can do the assignment.

We use the Taiga system for our work flow, scheduling, and communications on individual articles. It would really assist the editors if you would join.

Thanks

@gnokii Please let us know the name of your next Inkscape article so we can create the next Taiga card to track it.

Thanks for your work!

pluralis majestix?

MAKE MORE with Inkscape - Ink/Stitch, but this article will take a bit longer. First I had to download and install the 2.0 version of this extension, as it changed a few things which must be mentioned. That took a bit longer as I had to download it twice, as the default language trick didnt work, so I had to download the en_US version to and install it, took me a while to find a failure which prevented that some functions did work.
Besides that is Ink/Stitch a bit bigger then GCode Tools more functions to describe, so it will take a while.

And before you ask, next will be Stroke Fonts, I already have installed the extension. I have done stroke fonts before but not with this extension, so I have to figure it out. So please dont push me

Hello @gnokii ,
Certainly take the time you need to in order to make the article you want, please don’t ever feel you are being pressured to perform.
Thank you for taking the time to write a series of articles for Fedora Magazine.
Stephen

1 Like

@gnokii When you are ready, the Taiga card #359 is ready for article " MAKE more with Inkscape - Stroke Fonts" .

Keep us posted on your status on #350 (GCode).

Re: pluralis majestix
There is more than one editor for the Fedora Magazine. “We” share the effort.
:slightly_smiling_face:

@gnokii When you are ready, the Taiga card #361 is ready for “MAKE MORE with Inkscape - Ink/Stitch”

NOTE: All of these are on your time schedule so when you are ready for the first, or any subsequent ones to be PUBLISHED, please let us know.

Honest, 3 messages short behind each other - we use taiga for communication :smiley:

1. Why I have to “keep you posted about the G Code article” ? He is in wp, and marked ready for the editors, so that isnt me :wink:
  2. There might be more then one editor, but none is so Taiga affine as you :wink: Btw Taiga is a project management tool not a communication platform, you can unfortunately communicate in it.
  3. It can take a while, the simulator doesnt run right now and this was a eye catching feature

And the maintainer telling me a story right now, about problems on localization, which I cant believe. Its not just about the article would be nice to have it packaged for Fedora but it cant in this way besides the L18N part they also bundle libs, so impossible with our packaging rules.

@gnokii are you saying that we should go ahead and publish the G Code article? You stated in post #11 of this thread that we should wait until you had the next article ready.

No I didnt say that, when the next article is ready as I said and this one will be probably in wp again and marked ready for editing and I am surly will tell that here

1 Like

I think the inference is that Taiga is a horrible communication method, unless you’re a project member. I believe the discussion area does generate better timely communication from the collective, it’s just not exclusive or filtered as finely. Just my take on it. Great articles BTW!

Stephen

Yeah, but there are no customizable “metadata” tags associated with these forum threads. The post above is a perfect example of the problem. In Taiga, the cards have a “ready for review” status that can be set to indicate that. Then the editors know at a glance what the status is. With these forum threads, basically the whole thread has to be read from top to bottom to figure out what the state of the article is. That’s not practical when we have several articles in progress that we have to order and assign for editing and publication.

a) some things you must always read from the begin, compare a kanban project management software with a forum is a bit…
b) I write, I have nothing to do with the project management at all, where is the difference when something is marked in wp or taiga?
c) I have also nothing to do with assign someone for editing and publication

so therefore why I need Taiga?

Looking that there is already the status “needs image”

1 Like

It is not that you need Taiga (Kanban). It is that we (the editors) need Kanban to keep track of everything. We can make an exception if, for example, someone cannot get their account to work on Taiga. But we cannot track the status of all the articles by (re)reading all the forum posts each week.

But you do! You are the one who knows when the article is ready for publication.

The difference is that the editors use/watch Taiga for article status updates. We do not monitor WP.

If we had a larger staff, maybe we could read and monitor more sources of information. But currently, there are only two editors to monitor/review/edit 25 articles that are in various states of “in progress”. We do not have the time nor the inclination to continuously re-read 25 forum threads to figure out what articles are in what states.

I am willing to do the extra work for you of monitoring this forum thread for status updates and to answer any questions you may have since you do not want to use the Taiga card. But it is the exception, not the rule.