[Article proposal] The business case for supporting EPEL

Article Summary:
I am going to make the case that if you use EPEL as part of your organization’s infrastructure, you have an interest in keeping those packages available and as secure as they can be.

Article Description:
Here’s a link to my first draft in HackMD! Please leave comments on how I can make this better or what I should change to fit in with the rest of the Magazine.

Other community members who are attached to the EPEL marketing campaign - please also give feedback in the HackMD!

This is a neat idea! I would suggest mentioning that EPEL can be used on CentOS Stream as well, and point at EPEL-Next and CentOS Stream as a Reason 5: “you can prepare for future releases before they happen”, etc.

@carlwgeorge @tdawson curious what your thoughts are.

1 Like

+1 Looks good to me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

+1 from me @joseph.
I have created issue #136 in Pagure to track this article.

When you have the article in the form and content you want in WordPress, please let us know by leaving a preview link to it in a comment on this issue.
This is also a good place to contact the editors with any questions or issues.

The Fedora Magazine WordPress dashboard can be found here:
https://fedoramagazine.org/wp-admin/
Select +New at the top of the page and then Post to start your article.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, Josh! I mentioned CentOS Stream as one of the distros that one can use EPEL in at the beginning of the article, and then I added this section further down. Is this a fair description?

I love this idea. I’m leaving lots of comments on the hackmd to help polish it up.

@joseph I think your addition is good. I’ll defer to Carl on the overall post :slight_smile: Thanks again for drafting it!

1 Like

In case anyone missed it, this article was published back in September.

@carlwgeorge: I think this category (Team Workflow - Fedora Magazine) is somewhat “muted” from the default view for most people following Discourse. You might need to create a new post under the Project Discussion category if your intent is to promote the article. Even better, you might try to get Marketing to push some links to the article out on the social media feeds.

I didn’t know if there was a process to close the loop on proposals made in Discussion. I figured that once the proposal was accepted and discussion moved to the ticket that we were done with this thread. Is there a process to closes this out, or is it fine to just leave it alone?

It’s a good point. We probably should be marking them solved once the ticket is created or the idea is rejected. But we haven’t been doing that.

Well, as of this post, the article is linked in the solution. :slight_smile:

Another idea could be that as long as someone comes back into this thread with a link to the final article, we can consider it closed out. Anyone would be able to do it, whether it’s the author or members of the Magazine team, and it would clearly show that the finished product was achieved.

1 Like

This was exactly my intent. I stumbled across this thread and thought to myself, “did that ever get published?” Once I saw that it had, I wanted to include the link here for posterity. I’m not worried about further promoting the article.

1 Like