Summary: Show how to reassign the default printer to the last printer used.
Description: This article will describe a workflow which calls for a printing model that differs from the ubiquitous single static default printer paradigm, and how we solved the problem on Fedora with Cups, Systemd, and a little Selinux. While addressing this specific use case, it will more generally show how Fedora’s existing capabilities can be leveraged to reduce users’ pain points.
I propose a flow like this:
- Contrast two default printer management paradigms
- Present examples of problems with the common static default method.
- Describe how a default to last used method addresses those problems.
- Develop implementation requirements
- Implement a Cups based solution
- Make a Systemd service for it
- Tweak Selinux to allow this solution to work in practice