Approaches to data handling, safety, and avoiding individual identification — a breakout topic for the F40 Change Request on Privacy-preserving telemetry for Fedora Workstation

We would need to link to such an explanation, because we don’t have space in gnome-initial-setup to explain everything there. But I agree, users deserve to a way to see what data would be collected at the time they’re prompted to make a choice. I think the toggle from this screenshot qualifies as prominent. We’d need to adjust the text slightly to include a link to the data collection policy and the list of metrics that will be collected.

At minimum, the data would be available to Fedora community members on request. It’s not going to be private to Red Hat.

We might need a separate discussion on whether the raw data should be Fedora-private or whether it should be completely public. I’m really not sure whether it’s a good idea.

I agree that the aggregated data should be made public.

I’m not sure about “the various types of data that gets collected doesn’t change within a Fedora release” because that will really slow down our ability to collect data. That can even lead to collecting more than necessary. You could imagine that many design decisions would only require collecting a couple weeks’ worth of data, for example.

I’m also not sure if the full change proposal process is the most appropriate way to submit metrics for consideration, but I do agree they need to be individually proposed and approved via some community approval process.

1 Like