Antora v3 release and impact on Fedora docs

Hi everyone,

(Moved from Issue with local antora docs environment - docs - Fedora Mailing-Lists)

With the new Antora v3 release, the build.sh scripts used to build the documentation no longer work due to some change I don’t understand:

$ ./build.sh
This build script is using Podman to run the build in an isolated environment.
[12:19:48.526] FATAL (antora): configuration param 'runtime.pull' not declared in the schema for /antora/site.yml (cwd: /antora, playbook: site.yml)
Add the --stacktrace option to see the cause of the error.

Running with --stacktrace gives out:

Error: invalid reference format

As this will impact everyone try to build the documentation locally with a fresh container image, should we consider updating all the build.sh scripts in the repos to reference the previous Antora container image until this is fixed?

From Antora Release Schedule :: Antora Docs, Antora 2.3.4 will be EOL in February this year which is a really fast EOL.

Should we try to move all Fedora docs to v3 ASAP? I’m not familiar with the changes required.

Thanks!

2 Likes

See build.sh: Explicitely use Antora 2.3.4 for now by travier · Pull Request #347 · coreos/fedora-coreos-docs · GitHub as example for a temporary fix if you encounter this issue.

3 Likes

I’ve done some really quick testing, and it seems like the docs should run just fine with 3.0.0.
The configuration parameter runtime.pull is deprecated since antora 2.0, and has completely been removed in 3.0.
The new name for this parameter is runtime.fetch.
Once that fixed in site.yml, the docs is building ok and I didn’t see any major regression from 2.3.4 (but again, i didn’t spend a lot of time on this).

I suggest that we upgrade the staging environment first, see how it goes, and fix what needs to be fixed from there.
See PR#178: Sync stg with prod & Upgrade to antora 3.0 - fedora-docs/docs-fp-o - Pagure.io

4 Likes