All games crashng after clean install

Hi,

I’ve been using fedora for about a year now with a dual boot and been able to play games pretty smoothly.
Since I was not using windows at all, I decided to get rid of it, so I did a clean install.
I struggled a bit to get the Nvidia drivers to work after enabling secure boot, but got that to work.

I guess it’s worth to mention that I restored a back up of my Home folder using Déjà Dup

Now, every game I try to play from steam crashes both in Wayland and X11

I’m on a msi GT63 Titan 8RF
Firmware version: E16L4IMS.109
48Gb RAM
Intel® Core™ i7-8750H × 12
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Kernel: 6.2.15-300.fc38.x86_64

Any advise on what I could try to get my games to work?

Thanks a lot in advance

If you try running Steam from the terminal, then it should spit out error messages relating to the game crashing. Anything interesting in that output?

If you try making another user account with the default home folder contents, do games still crash if you’re signed in as that user?

1 Like

Hi Matti,
Thanks for the quick reply,

I tried on a fresh user without restoring the Home folder and same issue.

I just run it through terminal and got this:

steam:37784): Gtk-WARNING **: 17:27:03.793: gtk_disable_setlocale() must be called before gtk_init()
local (potentially out of sync) copy of roaming config loaded - 307 bytes.
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1682708537)/tid(38016)
BRefreshApplicationsInLibrary 1: 1ms
roaming config store loaded successfully - 307 bytes.
migrating temporary roaming config store
GetWin32Stats: restoring previous glx context
ExecCommandLine: "'/home/test/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam' 'client'"
System startup time: 3.71 seconds
BuildCompleteAppOverviewChange: 295 apps
RegisterForAppOverview 1: 2ms
RegisterForAppOverview 2: 2ms
GameAction [AppID 23450, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to ShowCDKey with ""
GameAction [AppID 23450, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp waiting for user response to ShowCDKey ""
CAPIJobRequestUserStats - Server response failed 2

game crashed and then continuously this keeps on repeating:

(steam:37784): GLib-CRITICAL **: 17:32:54.186: g_main_context_push_thread_default: assertion 'acquired_context' failed

(steam:37784): GLib-CRITICAL **: 17:32:54.186: g_main_context_pop_thread_default: assertion 'g_queue_peek_head (stack) == context' failed
Steam: An X Error occurred
X Error of failed request:  BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
Major opcode of failed request:  20 (X_GetProperty)
Resource id in failed request:  0x0
Serial number of failed request:  9
xerror_handler: X failed, continuing

(steam:37784): GLib-CRITICAL **: 17:33:04.199: g_main_context_push_thread_default: assertion 'acquired_context' failed

(steam:37784): GLib-CRITICAL **: 17:33:04.199: g_main_context_pop_thread_default: assertion 'g_queue_peek_head (stack) == context' failed

(steam:37784): GLib-CRITICAL **: 17:33:14.213: g_main_context_push_thread_default: assertion 'acquired_context' failed

(steam:37784): GLib-CRITICAL **: 17:33:14.213: g_main_context_pop_thread_default: assertion 'g_queue_peek_head (stack) == context' failed

Another weird thin I noticed is that under displays, I have my laptop built in, my external Dell monitor and a 3rd “Unknown” monitor which I never had before. This is the same both in my main user and the fresh one I created for testing.

I don’t know if I should just turn secure boot back off and do a fresh install… although I’m afraid that would mean having to go through the process of getting the Nvidia drivers running again which I found a bit tedious.

Thanks for any suggestion.

Does every game crash after the

LaunchApp changed task to ShowCDKey with ""
LaunchApp waiting for user response to ShowCDKey ""

output, or do different games have different points of failure? If I’m reading SteamDB right, then Grand Ages: Rome seems to be a game that asks for the CD key, but what happens if you try a game that doesn’t need a CD key? Also, if you try switching to the Steam beta UI, does that change anything?

It could be worth a go if you aren’t too invested in your current install. From when I had an Nvidia card, I remember it was pretty painless to get the drivers installed through RPM Fusion, but then again I wasn’t using secure boot. Of course, if that doesn’t help, then you’ll be stuck getting secure boot working again.

I have same card working smoothly with RPMfusion driver provided. Are you sure that the driver is loaded?

inxi -G