Adding `-team` to (almost) all of the tags in Project Discussion

@siosm, @dustymabe, @tpopela — this may be a different (and larger) conversation, but… I’d really like us to move away from using trackers for discussion. I think, in large part, that’s been a way to work around the difficulty of mailing lists, but I’d like to hear other reasons you prefer it.

I don’t want to dictate tools to teams, but I feel like discussion in trackers really increases our project fragmentation — especially when people are using Pagure, Gitlab, Github, and whatever else.

I think it makes perfect sense to talk about specific implementation details in a tracker, and of course to use one for tracking things. But when bigger and more general project development conversation ends up in tickets:

• It’s nearly invisible to the rest of the project.
  • The rest of project communications may be out of regular visibility to the team.
  • Newcomers have to discover each team’s communication platform separately.
  • People trying to work across teams must learn various different tools.
  • It’s more difficult to have cross-team conversations.
  • It’s harder for us to consistently count contributors.
  • Easy to lose crucial project history when it’s scattered across various sites and tools.

Does that make sense? What would it take to encourage your teams to move to team discussion here? We have quite a lot of flexibility.

I think now that we have the site merged, despite holding off on make the change, it’s quickly becoming clear to me at least that having split tags is going to be the best approach. (See A way to only subscribe to messages from Discusison, not Ask?)

2 Likes