Adding `-team` to (almost) all of the tags in Project Discussion

1. Granted, it is a few more characters. However, many times I approach a new topic as my intention to find the right audience for my topic. My desire for a prefix is because this is the typing I am already doing when I come to post something. For example, a Mindshare topic might be relevant to mind-co but I might also want to flag it to a specific team or sub-group too. If I can use a prefix as a filter to find other teams that I might not know about yet, that helps me get my content in front of the right group of people.
  2. A prefix is not the same as the team title. Think of it like hostnames, a “pretty” hostname and a “static” hostname. The pretty hostname (or team name) is how it would be written in a document or spoken aloud. The static hostname is easier for sorting, organizing, and finding similar content. My pitch for a prefix is only about the “static” name, not changing how we refer or write a team name across the project.
  3. Could we only use team- as a prefix then, and not adopt sig- or wg-? I think this is simpler. Maybe this is also in line with what you originally pitched.
  4. So, let’s just have team- as a prefix then. Problem solved? :slightly_smiling_face:
  5. Then best to leave it to the tag homepage and Discourse magic-config post describe what the tag is all about?

This is useful context that I didn’t have. But if I am a newcomer to the community posting about something Fedora Server-related, and I am only typing in the tag field without digging in too much, I would be confused by what -wg or -sig means. (I often find myself having to explain SIG vs WG already to Fedora newcomers.) The difference between server and server-wg is not intuitive as a newcomer.

Additionally, I like the team- prefix better because as an author of a new topic, if I am trying to reach a team/SIG/WG, I must be intentional about it by starting the tag with team-. I think it is more intuitive and it would also avoid people posting general knowledge questions and topics in the wrong place. I feel that if a tag is prefixed by team-, it is more intuitive that this is a group of people doing work.

Sure, I think it is fine to wait for this to work its way into a mainline Discourse release. But as you noted, for Gmail users (as well as other email web clients, even some desktop client filters like Thunderbird), this won’t have an impact.