A presentation of "larger projects"

Hey folks!

At FOSDEM we picked up a few cool things to do/add to our infrastructure, and that got me thinking about a way we could present these projects to our community, with the other larger projects that we already have.

I don’t want to give the impression:

• that they are the responsability of CPE[1] and that they ask for “help” from the Fedora community because they don’t have the capacity
  • or that CPE will work on it at some point and that the community thus does not need to care

On the contrary, I would like to empower the community to do those things if they find them useful and/or fun, with help from CPE’s members if needed (and not the other way around).

I thought about adding them to the Infrastructure tracker with a proper tag that will make them easily searchable (I thought of something like “epic projects”), but when looking at the tracker currently it feels like they’re an entirely different species of tickets, not really matching the {high,med,low}-{gain,trouble} system, and I’m not sure the sysadmins here would be happy to have them lying around untagged for months. But I may be wrong.

That said tickets are rather practical, because you can assign yourself to them, you can post updates, you can link to other tickets that need to be resolved first (like setting up a staging instance). I thought about using discussion threads here as well, but they may be too volatile and not offer the kind of “list of cool things to do” vibe that I was thinking of.

There is the initiatives tracker but I’m not sure how current it is, and it is very CPE-centric. I don’t want to give the community the impression that Fedora & CentOS infra is the playground of the CPE team, that you can look at from the other side of the fence. These can be everyone’s cool projects.

To give you a sense of what projects I’m talking about, here’s what I have in my list currently.

What do you think? Obviously I would like to avoid writing yet another app, so if we have something already that would be a good fit it’d be great.

Thanks!

1. A team hired by Red Hat to work on Fedora & CentOS infra ↩︎

1 Like

I just wrote something similar to a FESCO ticket but what if we create a topic under Project discussions like this one, Let’s call it:

Infrastructure Projects

and let it have sub-topics

• ara
  • keycloak
    *…

we can discuss then each of the applications/deployments/problems/projects that Fedora Infrastructure develop/use/maintain.

What do y ou think?

1 Like

I think that is really a best place to put them under Infrastructure Projects.

Looks good, I didn’t know you could do sub-topics :slight_smile:
Let’s try that and see how it evolves.

A downside is that only the author can edit the initial post, but I guess you’re the best person to do it anyway @humaton :slight_smile:

Hey folks!

At FOSDEM we picked up a few cool things to do/add to our infrastructure, and that got me thinking about a way we could present these projects to our community, with the other larger projects that we already have.

I don’t want to give the impression:

• that they are the responsability of CPE[1] and that they ask for “help” from the Fedora community because they don’t have the capacity
  • or that CPE will work on it at some point and that the community thus does not need to care

On the contrary, I would like to empower the community to do those things if they find them useful and/or fun, with help from CPE’s members if needed (and not the other way around).

I thought about adding them to the Infrastructure tracker with a proper tag that will make them easily searchable (I thought of something like “epic projects”), but when looking at the tracker currently it feels like they’re an entirely different species of tickets, not really matching the {high,med,low}-{gain,trouble} system, and I’m not sure the sysadmins here would be happy to have them lying around untagged for months. But I may be wrong.

Yeah, so I am of the opinion that tickets are for ‘do this thing’ but
horrible for ‘do we want to do this thing’ and ‘how should we do this
thing’. :wink:

That said tickets are rather practical, because you can assign yourself to them, you can post updates, you can link to other tickets that need to be resolved first (like setting up a staging instance). I thought about using discussion threads here as well, but they may be too volatile and not offer the kind of “list of cool things to do” vibe that I was thinking of.

To give you a sense of what projects I’m talking about, here’s what I have in my list currently.

What do you think? Obviously I would like to avoid writing yet another app, so if we have something already that would be a good fit it’d be great.

yeah, no more app for this. Couldn’t these merge into the infrastructure
projects flow thats being discussed? I mean, FESCO may put a lower
priority on them, but they would be in a space there to be tracked,
discussed and have people interested in them form and work on them?

RE: ara… ara is cool and great, but this might overlap with our
planned AWX deployment? AWX has a lot of logging, etc… but I haven’t
looked closely in years, but something to consider.

RE: keycloak, we need to get rid of the last openid stuff before we can
actually move to it right? or does it support openid now?

Poddlers sounds really reasonable. How about calling it ‘kindergadern’
or ‘day care’ or something related to caring for lots of small children?

Thanks for the thread!

1. A team hired by Red Hat to work on Fedora & CentOS infra ↩︎

Yep, I thought of that as well, but it may be an interesting side project for someone in the community who doesn’t want to deal with the complexity of AWX and above all reorganizing our ansible structure.

There are a few apps that still use OpenID, but we can still prototype KeyCloak + IPA-tuura for the common OIDC or SAML cases. We can’t use it exclusively until they get kerberos auth anyway.

Sure, it was just me being in pun mode. « It’s like toddlers, except they are running in pods! Poddlers! » Don’t mind it :slight_smile:

I didn’t think of that at first, but I suppose it could also be a Fedora wiki page, with links to discussion threads here. But at least the wiki page would have a description and the current status of the initiatproject.

Yep, I thought of that as well, but it may be an interesting side project for someone in the community who doesn’t want to deal with the complexity of AWX and above all reorganizing our ansible structure.

Sure… just might be overlap/wasted effort. Just need to be clear
there.

There are a few apps that still use OpenID, but we can still prototype KeyCloak + IPA-tuura for the common OIDC or SAML cases. We can’t use it exclusively until they get kerberos auth anyway.

Yeah, pagure being the biggie. ;(

Sure, it was just me being in pun mode. « It’s like toddlers, except they are running in pods! Poddlers! » Don’t mind it :slight_smile:

Naming things is hard. :wink:

Alright, so I made a wiki page: Infrastructure/Projects - Fedora Project Wiki. As always with wiki pages, it just needs to be kept up-to-date. I’ll try to do that.

I’m going to close this thread in favor of the one opened by Tomas.