6.5 kernel boot problems, maybe AMD related?

I have laptop with Intel i7-8605G, which includes a second GPU in the form of an AMD Radeon RX Vega M GL, during the very brief time AMD was supplying Intel with a GPU for their packages.

On the KDE spin of Fedora 38, the laptop hangs at a blank screen after signing in (on SDDM?) if choosing either 6.5.6 or 6.5.7. It had been a while since I’d updated, and the last previous kernel on here is 6.4.14, which works fine.

If I run journalctl -b -1 after a failed boot, the last line is …amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: not ready 32767ms after resume; waiting, and this “not ready” message appears in the log over a dozen times. If I do the same for a successful boot, I don’t see this message at all.

Is there anything I can usefully do here? What other information could be useful in figuring this out?

Thank you for your time. I normally try not to ask for help, but that’s not a useful outlook. I’m new to the community on the forum here. Maybe I should start trying to participate and interact with others a little more. :slight_smile:

I suggest you raise a bug against the kernel so that the maintainers have visibility to this issue. Put the kernel messages about not ready in the report along with lspci output for the GPU.

If you are new to the big tracker start here Bugzilla - Fedora Project Wiki

Hello.
Are you using suspension instead of shutting down the machine?

It could als be a KDE problem as the kernel was actually booting and displayed the login page.

Thank you. I’ve never filed one before; I’ll start working on this when I can get back to my computer.

As @vekruse points out, I may do some experimenting to see if it happens with a different DE first, maybe making a 2nd install on another drive.

Full shutdown, everything unplugged, selecting kernels from grub.

It’s taken me a while to get back to this, but I tried a fresh install of plain Fedora Workstation on an external drive. Boots fine choosing the 6.2 kernel it installs with, but update to the 6.5 kernel, and it goes to a blank screen after logging in (this time gray). The same “not ready” messages crop up in the log again. Will figure out how to file a bug.

Consider providing info in this bug: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2246642

Um, that’s actually my bug report. Is there anything I can do to add to it to make it more useful?