+1s vs ❤️s

Off topic, but…

You know it makes you type more words because the :heart: is supposed to be a sufficient replacement for “+1”, right? :slight_smile:

In fact, if you reply via mail with +1, it will :heart: the post you are replying to.

3 Likes

Okay, so is Matt going to update the procedure doc for approving articles as an editor? And I am going to make the card for this article since I liked the comment too!

1 Like

Okay, fair: I should have realized that that’s the documented procedure. But it does have a conflict with what Discourse understands a +1 to be — and the annoyance of having to type extra words to hit the minimum post limit.

My suggestion is that the policy change to one of these or the other:

1. :hearts: used instead of +1s. The identity of the people who liked a post is publicly displayed, so you can count which of those are from editors and replace “reply with +1” with that.
  2. Ask editors to say “First editor approval” / “Second editor approval” rather than plusses.
  3. Fancy: Create a Magazine Pitches discourse category with a topic template which contains a pre-generated poll only available to Magazine Editors (we’d need to manually populate the group for right now since automatic sync from FAS isn’t yet possible):
    [poll type=regular results=always public=true chartType=bar groups=magazine_editors]
    * Approved
    * Needs Work
    * Not a Good Fit
    [/poll]

… which would look like:

• Approved
  • Needs Work
  • Not a Good Fit

0 voters

(The template could, of course, have more than just the poll.)

1 Like

Just poking fun @mattdm ,
Of the top three I choose #3 as most desirable, #1 as next with an added instruction for second editor to make card an comment about it as a reply to the initial pitch. #2 is pretty much what we do now with augmentation.
Actually, on further consideration, option #3 is problematic WRT the current workflow of the mag, in that we currently are experiencing valuable discussion around article spec topics, that remain open until the article is published, and often for a time afterward.