How to test Fedora Kinoite (official builds only)

Fedora Kinoite is now available as part of the Fedora 35 beta! :tada: Note that this is still a development version (and there could be bugs) but this is perfectly usable.

To give it a try, you have several options:

• Installing from scratch:

• Updating from an existing Silverblue or unofficial Kinoite installation:

• Note that while not strictly officially supported, this is practically guaranteed to work given how rpm-ostree works.
    • Make sure you have the official Fedora ostree repository as a remote:
      $ ostree remote refs fedora | grep kinoite
      fedora:fedora/35/aarch64/kinoite
      fedora:fedora/35/ppc64le/kinoite
      fedora:fedora/35/x86_64/kinoite
      fedora:fedora/rawhide/aarch64/kinoite
      fedora:fedora/rawhide/ppc64le/kinoite
      fedora:fedora/rawhide/x86_64/kinoite

• Optional but strongly recommended: Pin your current (hopefully working) deployment to make sure you can always go back to a working state it if anything happens:
      $ sudo ostree admin pin 0

• Rebase to Fedora Kinoite:
      $ sudo rpm-ostree rebase fedora:fedora/35/x86_64/kinoite

Any help updating the documentation is welcomed! The sources are in Overview - fedora-kde/kinoite-docs - Pagure.io.

9 Likes

Sometimes, we might not be booting the default deployment ‘0’ . If we want to pin our current deployment, the way I am using is run rpm-ostree status then pin the active deployment. The deployment numbering is from top to bottom, starts with ‘0’ .

2 Likes

I am testing it now and awesome @siosm

1 Like

So once Fedora Kinoite is officially released, how can I switch to the stable version instead of rawhide?

1 Like

The process is a rebase

Something like:

sudo rpm-ostree rebase fedora:fedora/x86_64/35/kinoite

2 Likes

https://latenightlinux.com/late-night-linux-episode-133/

Fedora Silverblue and Kinoite Reviews in this weeks Late Night Linux podcast

2 Likes

Downloading the F35 build now to test, very interested!

I’ve updated the instructions now that F35 is branched.

2 Likes

I just rebased from Silverblue last night. Can someone point me to the bug tracker list? I noticed some bugs and want to see if they’ve been logged already. Sorry, I’m a bit new.

Welcome!

You can report bugs in the KDE SIG tracker for now (until we get a proper BugZilla product).

Kinoite is now available as part of the Fedora 35 Beta! :tada:

You can download the ISOs from https://kinoite.fedoraproject.org/.

I’ve updated the instructions in the first post in this topic.

2 Likes

That’s completely up to you. If you use the administrator account option (user in wheel group) you can do most rpm-ostree operations (updates, etc.) in the logged in session without entering your password / switching to root.

1 Like

I rebased from Silverblue 34 to Kinoite 35 when it released, and followed these steps. I had no issues, but recently installed Cockpit and it pointed out to me an error in the SDDM user@.service that it found.

I traced the error back to a missing entry in the /etc/shadow file.

As we are nearing F36 release and others may be looking to rebase as well, they may find this useful in making the transition error-free.