[Article proposal] Orchestrate multi-container setups using Podman + systemd

Currently we have articles on podman + systemd in an “introductory” level with single container setups. Next step is to have a tutorial on how to orchestrate slightly more difficult setups with multiple containers.

The podman documentation is quite lacking on the specific mechanics of the systemd generator, especially for pods and larger setups. The work from this article could feed back into that documentation.

A major concern for this article is to address peoples uneasiness with the whole podman + systemd generator usage for a majority coming from docker-compose yaml files. “Demystification” of this process should help in getting more users on board.

Outline:

1. What is podman and what are pods
  2. Compose a live pod setup
  3. Generate and manage systemd files for portability
  4. How the generator / generated unit files work
  5. Extra: convert compose yaml files

I’d like to highlight the ways to come up with a complex setup on podman by either manual effort or using tools to convert compose yaml files.

Next not only is it interesting how to generate more complex systemd unit file setups but also how the generator works to understand how to modify generated files to personal needs.

+1. I’d suggest keeping point one short since that has been covered before. Maybe provide a link to Fedora Classroom: Containers 101 with Podman for more information about podman and pods. I’m sure people could benefit from learning more about systemd.

Hello @w4tsn, I’ve created Pagure issue (card) #45 to track your article.

Please follow all of the directions found at Writing Articles :: Fedora Docs except for the KanBan part (Pagure replaces that). We are using Pagure to track and comment on the article as it progresses and to answer questions from the authors, from time to time. It is a handy way of keeping track of the article progress for both the authors and the editors. Also a good place to ask for help about specifics of what you are writing if needed.

This is a change from the previous process since Taiga is being decommissioned.

The editors will move the card to “in progress” once you start writing the article. Please let us know by commenting on the issue (card) in Pagure.

After you have completed the article, and feel it is ready for review, please add a comment to the card so the editors know to move it to the Review column.

The editorial board meets weekly (Thursday’s at 1500 UTC) at #fedora-meeting channel on libera.chat (irc), and will review the article in the “review” status at that time and decide if it is ready for publishing or not. If publishing is decided, then an Editor and Image creator are assigned (often the same person) and the article gets scheduled. If the editors feel the article needs more work, it will be moved back to the in progress column, and the author will be informed of the reason(s), usually with helpful suggestions on what needs some more work.